Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Surprise dinner and a FLIPPER CROTCH?!?!


To continue with the Utah trip, we surprised my dad with an adult dinner to the Mandarin in Bountiful. It's one of our families favorite Chinese restaraunts. We had a good time eating, laughing, and enjoying everyone's company. I was sitting next to my brother Chuck (Christian) and his girlfriend, Rachel and they were late and so I must not have gotten a picture of them. Sorry.

I must say though, get a girl from Shelley, Idaho (my mother) and the good times never stop. We got laughing so hard from something she had said the day before. My parents have a very big and nice garden in their backyard and have problems with the deer eating their tomatoes and vegetables. (They live on the benches in Bountiful by the Bountiful Temple.) So to "scare" the deer away, my dad gets this sling shot looking thing and because his aim (and follow through) sucks, he really doesn't hit them, he just "scares" the deer away. So my mom and dad get ready to get go to church and my mom spots a deer eating her tomatoes. So she's telling us the story later of how she had dad go get his flipper crotch to get the deer. I said, "dad got his what?!" half laughing, but wanting to know what old age was doing to my parents. She got laughing I'm sure thinking her daughter was weird for not knowing what a FLIPPER CROTCH even was. So I turn to Tami and said, have you ever heard of a flipper crotch? she said nope. So with all of us laughing, we had this lasting until I left 4 days later.

Which brings me back to dinner the next day at the Mandarin. When our family gets fortune cookies, we usually read the fortune and add the words "in bed" on the end (we really are a good, normal family, promise!). So tonight was new and more meaningful fortunes. As we read our fortunes, now we added "flipper crotch" and "in bed" somewhere either in or at the end of the fortune. My mom was so red from being embarrassed, but mainly from laughing so hard it will be treasured with us all forever. I can't wait until the day I get to read her journal about the "flipper crotch".

PS If anyone has HEARD of, or knows of the FLIPPER CROTCH, please enlighten me because I think my mom was brainwashed as a child in Shelley, Idaho!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Tam said...

I keep calling it a Crotch Flipper. Guess it is more appropriate to call it a Flipper Crotch. That was a fun dinner though!

Julie Ramsay said...

You got me laughing hard! Thanks for the great story. Your family looks wonderful. Tell them hi from us!

Rykell said...

Beck,
That is so funny, and coming from your mom is even funnier. I have NOT heard of a FLIPPER CROTCH, but I don't get out much! Love the pictures and the stories, keep it up, and check on mine soon, I'll get it going again!! :)

Nathan and Natalie said...

You are going to think a stranger is totally crazy for posting on your blog, so I'm sorry, but I googled flipper crotch and your blog came up. The other day at my friends home they had a water balloon launcher. I called it a flipper crotch and got the craziest reactions! No one had ever heard of that before and thought I was crazy and had made it up. I was googling the word to make sure I hadn't made it up somewhere. I grew up in Provo, so it isn't an Idaho thing. I guess neither your mom or I are crazy! (And really, sorry for a stranger commenting on your blog).

emily said...

sling shot? that's the only thing that makes sense to me in context. i just started reading my great grandfather's little life story and came across that phrase too and found you via a google search. Sling shot makes the most sense.