Monday, May 26, 2008

We miss you, Bapa!

I know this might seem like a weird entry, but on Memorial Day we've been talking with the kids about what it means and the people who have lost their lives for us serving their Country and for people whom we love who have passed away. It had me thinking and pondering of those whom I love dearly who have passed away like my Grandma Beth and Grandpa Harker. These are 2 very special people in my lives, and I hope to honor them one day, but I truly got to experience the loss of a loved one when Chris' dad, Garry Condiff passed away about 3 years ago. It was something that at the age of 66 you don't plan on dying that young, but that nasty cancer can just take the ones we love so fast. He fought a tough battle and just didn't make it. He was a hard working man who provided very well for his family. I remember going to their lake house in Texas and going water skiing and the memories that Chris had as a teenager going with his friends every weekend to the Lake House. I remember their condo in Red River, NM and going every summer and it was soooo beautiful. We'd always be their for the 4th of July parade and spend time together as family. It was a great place to go snow skiing as well. No matter if it was at the lake, the condo, or his home, we always could get a good card game in before we left (and he could beat us every time!) The man ate out more than anyone I know and 3/4 of it was Mexican food. He was a very spiritual man who was Bishop at the time of his death. He knew how connect with his grandchildren even though every single one of them are "twits". They all called him "Bapa" and had a "rule" for everything (ex. Rule #21... no jumping on the bed.) It was always in a fun and joking manner. He always made me feel important and never once did I feel like I was an "in-law". I always had a special bond with Garry and am proud that he is my father-in-law. I think we're going out to eat Mexican tonight in memory of Gar! We love you and miss you, Bapa!

1 comment:

Tam said...

I never realized Gary had such a great head of hair! Tex definitely doesnt have to worry (I guess he could transplant some leg hair if he needed to : ) I wish we had gotten to know Gary better. You always had really nice things to say about him. Its a good feeling to know you are considered theirs, not just an in-law. What a neat tribute!